Tuesday, December 15, 2009

Recall on... everything!

I received an email this afternoon from Parenting Magazine with news that a massive recall has been issued on ALL roman shades and roll-up window shades. Basically any window treatment that has a cord poses a potentially serious threat. Parenting lays it out for us - by the numbers:
"...millions of kids have grown up safely in homes with these kinds of shades (WCSC reports that roughly five million Roman shades and three million roll-up blinds are sold each year)..."
That's a lot of shades. Moreover, that's a lot of naked windows tonight! Really, how many parents threw privacy to the wind and took down their blinds as soon as they heard about the recall? At first I thought it was all a bit extreme -- but as I sit here at the computer, the only visible window has a loose cord (aka noose) at Josie's current level. So yes, I will agree that these blinds could potentially cause harm, and I will probably tighten this particular loose cord in our house.

But on the lighter side of things, let's examine other household items that might be the next recall:
Door Knobs
Imagine a 7 year old running through the doorway and clipping his head on one of these. You could poke your eye out!

Ovens
These things can get pretty hot...

Stairs
Treacherous!!!

Toilets
What? People are asked all the time if they've fallen in! It could happen.

In other words - be careful around the house!

No comments: