About 4 years ago, I decided to give up soda. I was soda free for nearly 3 years, but eventually pregnancy hormones/cravings/craziness won out and I drank a lot of Sprite for about 9 months. Once the artificial sweetener was no longer a concern for my developing fetus (and I made a really good, successful effort to lose those pregnancy pounds), I switched to diet, caffeine-free sodas (sticking with the caffeine-free due to breastfeeding). They just taste too good to give up completely!! I think I am addicted - but to what exactly?
First of all, I think there must be caffeine in there somewhere. Why else am I WIDE AWAKE at 11:52pm after working allllllll daaaaaaaaaay? No kidding, I just stopped working about 30 minutes ago after getting up at 7am to start working this morning. Where do the hours go - and why aren't there more of them?
So is the artificial sweetener addicting? Or maybe I love soda so much because I don't eat any other sweets, ever. Caffeine-free Diet Coke - my one vice. (Sorry, Pepsi, your competing product goes flat way too quickly...)
Maybe it's all that corn I'm addicted to. Everything is made of corn these days, don't you know? Even cucumbers are glazed with corn to give them a shine at the grocery store. Read The Omnivore's Dilemma if you don't believe me.
I think what it comes down to is that I'm addicted to staying up late and doing too much - or too little - all day long. Go go go gogogogogogogogo. CRASH! Then Go go go go gogogogogogo again. Funny how talking about it doesn't even make me tired.
Next question - what would I do with COFFEE?
You're right...
11 years ago
No comments:
Post a Comment