Reasons to Read The Dark Tower Series:
- Stephen King's first work. I'm told that he actually threw away the first book and his wife picked it out of the trash to save for him. He owes her, big time. Many of his other books reference this series, so I think it's a good introduction to the author.
- Better than Harry Potter. Each book in the HP Series had large chunks of text that I would skip just to get to the exciting parts. I can't skip anything in these books because I will miss something for sure. Also, the Dark Tower Series is complete, so I don't have to wait years for the next installment to come out (I should have waited until this year to read HP when all 7 books were out!).
- Not currently on a best seller list. I couldn't finish The DaVinci Code - too much hype for mediocrity. I barely cracked Purpose Driven Life - why do people like this book, anyway? I love that I'm reading a book that's not only terrific, but also is not on everyone's bookshelf collecting dust.
- Not scary. After seeing a Stephen King TV miniseries and watching The Shining, I thought reading Stephen King would leave me frightened to be alone for the rest of my life. Not so. The Dark Tower Series is very intriguing, not horrifying.
- New perspective on the world. The characters in these books experience something sort of like time travel, which is better explained in the books (so read them). The similarities and differences between the characters experiences in the same place but a different time really gives a fresh perspective on my own view of the world.
You can keep track of what books I'm reading, books I'd like to read, and reviews of books I've read by clicking the "Good Reads" link.
2 comments:
Add The Golden Compass series to your list of books to read - I enjoyed them more than Harry Potter as well! I will have to try the Stephen King series.
Did I tell you that my old roommate who worked in publishing worked on some of his books? They did "Lisley's Story" and she came home from work one day and told me she had sent him a giant shovel. I haven't read the book yet so I don't know what that means, but it sounds funny. (There's a picture of a shovel on the cover of the book.)
I have Lisey's Story as an audiobook, so I'll have to give it a listen.
Did you see the Golden Compass movie? Shelby got the Wii game as a gift. Other than that I don't know anything about it! I'll check that one out too.
Post a Comment